Assistant Professor, Clinician-Educator
Dr. Moisi is a fellowship trained Complex and Minimally Invasive Spine Neurosurgeon and is the only physician in the Detroit Medical Center that is dual trained in this specialty by both Neurosurgery and Orthopedic Surgery. He therefore brings a unique set of skills and a multi-disciplinary approach to the treatments of all types of Spine Diseases.
Dr. Moisi has a keen interest in spinal tumors, trauma and deformity. He treats all etiologies of the spine and is capable of addressing the conditions with many different techniques and methods, including the Lateral Approach to the spine. His team approach to spine treatments is exceptional and helps ensure the best possible overall spine care individualized to each patient.
Dr. Moisi is a prolific writer with over 45 peer-reviewed publications, multiple books chapters and on the editorial board of several journals including The Spine Scholar. He is also a research associate for the Seattle Science Foundation and is involved in translational and clinical research involving anatomical, biomechanical and oncologic problems of the spine as well as being an invited faculty member and speaker at many meetings nationally. Dr. Moisi is Fluent in Romanian.
Anatomical and biomechanical research in Spinal Oncology, complex spine and spinal cord injury.
Complex and Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Spine Oncology, Spine Deformity, Spinal Cord Injury, Neurotrauma, General Neurosurgery
Complex and Minimally Invasive Spine Fellowship- Swedish Neuroscience Institute Seattle, WA
Brain and Spine Tumor Fellowship- Swedish Neuroscience Institute Seattle, WA
The University of Texas Medical Branch Galveston, TX- Neurosurgery Research Fellow
New York University School of Medicine
Columbia University, School of Engineering and Applied Science
Degree: Master of Science
Major: Medical Physics
New York University, College of Arts and Sciences
Major: Chemistry and Mathematics
Detroit Medical Center Hospitals:
- Children's Hospital of Michigan (Detroit)
- Detroit Receiving Hospital (Detroit)
- Harper University Hospital (Detroit)
- Huron Valley Sinai Hospital (Commerce Township)
- Hutzel Womens Hospital (Detroit)
- Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (Detroit)
- Sinai Grace Hospital (Detroit)
Other Area Hospitals and Institutes:
Dr. Moisi sees patients at the following locations:
- Harper Professional Office Building (Detroit)
- Wayne State University Physician’s Group (Troy)
1. Matthew Protas, Michele Davis, Shenell Berard, Fernando Alonso, Marc Moisi, Rod J Oskouian, Marios Loukas, R Shane Tubbs “Sacroiliac Screw Fixation: A Systematic Review of Complications and their Causes” The Spine Scholar Volume 1 Issue 1 Sept 2017.
2. Peter Grunert, Doniel Drazin, Joe Iwanaga, Cameron Schmidt, Fernando Alonso, Marc Moisi, Jens R. Chapman, Rod J. Oskouian, R Shane Tubbs “Injury to the Lumbar Plexus and its Branches following Lateral Fusion Procedures: a Cadaver Study” World Neurosurgery June 2017 (PMID: 28619496)
3. Christian Fisahn, Shiveindra Jeyamohan, Daniel C. Norvell, R Shane Tubbs, Marc Moisi, Jens Chapman, Jeni Page, Rod Oskouian “Association between Allogeneic Blood Transfusion and Postoperative Infection in Major Spine Surgery” Clinical Spine Surgery (PMID: 28452795).
4. R. Shane Tubbs, Joe Iwanaga, Islam Aly, Marc Moisi, David R. Hanscom, Jens R. Chapman, Marios Loukas, Rod Oskouian “Extraforaminal Compression of the L5 Nerve: An Anatomical Study with Application to Failed Posterior Decompressive Procedures” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience April 2017 (PMID: 28408248).
5. Tubbs RI, Gabel B, Jeyamohan S, Moisi M, Chapman JR, Hanscom RD, Loukas M, Oskouian RJ, Tubbs RS “Relationship of the lumbar plexus branches to the lumbar spine: anatomical study with application to lateral approaches” Spine J. 2017 March (PMID: 28365495).
6. Prasanthi Maddali , Blake Walker , Christian Fisahn , Jeni Page , Vicki Diaz , Michael E. Zwillman , Rod J. Oskouian , R. Shane Tubbs , Marc Moisi "Subdural Thoracolumbar Spine Hematoma after Spinal Anesthesia: A Rare Occurrence and Literature Review of Spinal Hematomas after Spinal Anesthesia." Cureus 9(2): e1032 (PMID: 28357164).
7. Marc Moisi, Christian Fisahn, Lara Tkachenko, Shiveindra Jeyamohan, Stephen Reintjes, Peter Grunert, Daniel C. Norvell, R Shane Tubbs, Jeni Page, David Paulson, David Newell, Peter Nora, Rod Oskouian, Jens Chapman “Posterior Arch C1 Screw Technique: A Cadaveric Comparison Study JNS Spine June 2017 Cover article (PMID: 28304240).
8. Fisahn C, Montalbano MJ, Iwanaga J, Moisi M, Loukas M, Chapman JR, Oskouian RJ, Tubbs RS. “A new superficial landmark for the odontoid process: a cadaveric study” Anat Sci Int. 2017 Feb (PMID: 28176269).
9. Maddali P, Moisi M, Page J, Chamiraju P, Fisahn C, Oskouian R, Tubbs RS “Anatomical complications of epidural anesthesia: A comprehensive review” Clin Anat. 2017 Feb (PMID: 28165638).
10. Marc D. Moisi, MD, Kimberly Hoang, MD, Christian Fisahn, MD, Patrick Buchanan, MD, Daniel Klinger, MD, R. Shane Tubbs, PhD, Jeni Page, NP, Charles Cobbs, MD, Douglas Backous, MD, Johnny Delashaw, MD "Advancement of Surgical Visualization Methods: A Comparison Study between Traditional Microscopic Surgery, the Endoscope and a Novel Robotic Optoelectronic Visualization Tool for the Transnasal Transphenoidal Approach to the Sellar Region" Journal of Spine and Neurosurgery Volume 6 Issue 2.
11. Christian Fisahn, Felipe Hada Sanders, Marc Moisi, Jeni Page, Peter C. Oakes, Mary Wingerson, Joe Dettori, R. Shane Tubbs, Parthasarathi Chamiraju, Peter Nora, David Newell, Johnny Delashaw, Rod J. Oskouian, Jens R. Chapman “Descriptive Analysis of Unplanned Readmission and Reoperation Rates after Intradural Spinal Tumor Resection” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience Journal of Clinical Neuroscience Jan 2017 (PMID: 28089196)
12. Christian Fisahn, Mirko Aach, Oliver Jansen, Marc Moisi, Angeli Mayadev, Krystie Pagarigan, Joseph Dettori, Thomas Schildhauer “The Effectiveness and Safety of Exoskeletons as Assistive and Rehabilitation Devices in the Treatment of Neurological Gait Disorders in Spinal Cord Injury Patients: A systemic review” Global Spine Journal 2016 Dec;6(8):822-841 (PMID: 27853668)
13. Marc D Moisi, Kim Huang, R Shane Tubbs, Jeni Page, Christian Fisahn, David Paulson, Shiv Jeyamohan, Johnny Delashaw, David Hanscom, Jens Chapman, Rod Oskouian “Advancement of Surgical Visualization Methods: A Comparison Study between Traditional Microscopic Surgery and a Novel Robotic Optoelectronic Visualization Tool in Spinal Surgery” World Neurosurgery November 8, 2016 Epub ahead of print (PMID: 27836702)
14. Randle Umeh, Christian Fisahn, Brittni Burgess, Joe Iwanaga, Marc Moisi, Rod J Oskouian, R. Shane Tubbs “Transforaminal Ligaments of the Lumbar Spine: A Comprehensive Review.” Cureus 8(10): e811.
15. Christian Fisahn, Lara Tkachenko, Marc Moisi, Stephen Rostad, Randle Umeh, Michael Zwillman, R Shane Tubbs, Jeni Page, David Newell, Johnny Delashaw “Herpes Simplex Encephalitis of the Parietal Lobe: A Rare Presentation.” Cureus 8(9): e785 (PMID: 27774355).
16. Christian Fisahn, Marc D. Moisi, Mary Wingerson, R Shane Tubbs, Charles Cobbs, Rod Oskouian, Jens Chapman “Cervical Fracture from Chronic Steroid Usage Presenting as a Stroke: A Case Report” International Journal of Surgery Case Reports Sept 2016; 28:1355-138 (PMID: 27701004).
17. Christian Fisahn, Jaspreet Johal, Marc Moisi, Joe Iwanaga, Rod J Oskouian, Jens R Chapman, Richard S Tubbs “Detethering of the C2 nerve root and avoidance of transection and injury during C1 screw placement: A cadaveric feasibility study” World Neurosurgery October 2016 (PMID: 27744083)
18. Christian Fisahn, Brittni Burgess, Joe Iwanaga, Marc Moisi, Rod Oskouian, Shane Tubbs, Jason Cormier “A previously undescribed variant of cervical rib structure related to a split cord malformation and review of the Literature” Translational Research in Anatomy August 2016 pp18-21.
19. Tardieu G G, Fisahn C, Loukas M, Moisi M, Chapman J, Oskouian R, Tubbs R: The Epidural Ligaments (of Hofmann): A Comprehensive Review of the Literature. Cureus 8(9): e779 (PMID: 27752405).
20. R. Shane Tubbs, Marc D. Moisi, David R. Hanscom, Jens R. Chapman, Rod J. Oskouian “A New Landmark for Localizing the Site of the Subdental Synchondrosis Remnant: Application to Discerning Pathology from Normal on Imaging” World Neurosurgery Aug 2016 (PMID 27591099).
21. Sohum K Desai, Da’Marcus Baymon, Eric Sielhoff, Kenneth Maynard, Marc Moisi, Achal P. Patel, Joel T. Patterson “Computed Tomography Morphometric Analysis of the central clival depression and petroclival angle for application of the presigmoid approach in the pediatric population.” Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences Volume 11 No 2 April-Jun 2016 pgs 109-111 (PMID: 27606016).
22. R. Shane Tubbs, Andre Granger, Marios Loukas, Christian Fisahn , Joe Iwanaga, Marc Moisi, David Paulson, Shiveindra Jeyamohan, Jens R. Chapman, Rod J. Oskouian “The Vertebral Artery Cave at C2: Anatomical Study with Application to C2 Pedicle Screw Placement” World Neurosurgery July 2016. (PMID: 27443230)
23. Aurora Cruz, BA, Marc Moisi, MD, Jeni Page, NP, R. Shane Tubbs, PhD, David Paulson, MD, Michael Zwillman, MD, Rod Oskouian, MD, Arthur Lam, MD, David Newell, MD “Venous Air Embolus during Prone Cervical Spine Fusion: A Case Report and Literature Review” JNS Spine Published online July 2016. (PMID: 27448172)
24. Marc Moisi, Christian Fisahn, R. Shane Tubbs, PhD, Jeni Page, Richard Rice, David Paulson, Noojan Kazemi, David Hanscom, Rod Oskouian, “Lateral thoracic osteoplastic rib-sparing technique used for lateral spine surgery: Technical Note” Cureus 8(7): e668.
25. Marc Moisi, MD, Aurora Cruz, BA, Tara L. Benkers, MD, Steven Rostad, MD, Frances Broyles, MD, Kevin C.J. Yuen, MD, Marc R. Mayberg, MD “Treatment of Aggressive Prolactin-Secreting Pituitary Adenomas With Adjuvant Temozolomide Chemotherapy” Cureus 8(6): e658. (PMID: 27489751)
26. Marc D Moisi, Christian Fisahn, Lara Tkachenko, R. Shane Tubbs, Daniel Ginat, Peter Grunert, Shiv Jeyamohan, Stephen Reintjes, Olaide Ajayi, Jeni Page, Rod Oskouian, David Hanscom “Unilateral laminotomy with spinal canal decompression for lumbar stenosis: a Technical Note” Cureus 8(5): e623 (PMID: 27433402)
27. Ajayi O, Moisi M, Chapman J, Oskouian R, Tubbs R “C2 Pedicle Screw Placement: A Novel Teaching Aid” Cureus 8(6): e630 (PMID: 27433409).
28. Aurora S. Cruz, Shiveindra Jeyamohan, Marc Moisi, R. Shane Tubbs, Jeni Page, Lara Tkachenko, Steven Rostad, David Newell “Dural-based cavernoma of the posterior cranial fossa mimicking a meningioma: A case report” Cureus 8(4): e560 (PMID: 27190725).
29. Namath S. Hussain, MD, Marc D. Moisi, MD, Bart Keogh, MD PhD, Brendan McCullough MD, Steven Rostad, MD, David Newell, MD, Ryder Gwinn, MD, Gregory Foltz, MD, Marc Mayberg, MD, Brian Aguedan, Valerie Good, Sarah J. Fouke, MD “Dynamic Susceptibility Contrast and Dynamic Contrast Enhanced MR Imaging Characteristics Distinguish Microcystic Meningiomas from Traditional Grade I Meningiomas and High Grade Gliomas” Journal of Neurosurgery June 2016 (PMID: 27285539).
30. Jeni Page ACNP-BC, Marc Moisi MD, Rod J Oskouian, MD “Lumbar Epidural Hematoma Following Interlaminar Fluoroscopically Guided Epidural Steroid Injection” Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine 2016 May-Jun;41(3):402-4. (PMID 26982079)
31. Olaide Ajayi, Marc D Moisi, Alireza Shoakazemi, R Shane Tubbs, Steven Rostad, David Newell “Atypical presentation of a sequestered postero-lateral disc fragment.” Cureus 8(2): e502 February 2016 (PMID: 27014536).
32. Alizera Shoakazemi, Marc D Moisi, R Shane Tubbs, Mary Wingerson, Olaide Ajayi, Michael Zwillman, Jourdan Gottleib, David Hanscom “Necrotizing fasciitis: a life threatening complication of intraoperative electromyography” Cureus 8(1): e468 January 2016 (PMID: 26973803).
33. Marc D Moisi, R Shane Tubbs, Jeni Page, Alexandra Chapman, Brittni Burgess, Tyler Laws, Haylie Warren, Rod J Oskouian “Training medical novices in spinal microsurgery: does the modality matter? A pilot study comparing traditional microscopic surgery and a novel robotic optoelectronic visualization tool.” Cureus 8(1): e469 January 2016 (PMID: 26973804).